Wednesday 13 November 2013

To Commandant and Mrs. S. Hayes - Obudu 11/11/54

Sacred Heart Hospital,
Obudu,
Ogoja Province,
Nigeria.


Sun 11th Nov, 1954



Comdt. & Mrs S. Hayes,
6 Calderwood Road,
Drumcondra,
Dublin.


My dear Comdt. & Mrs Hayes,

I often think of you & wonder how you're getting on so I hope you'll have time to write me all the news.  How is Thérese & how is she getting on at school?  It will soon be Christmas holidays again.  I suppose you've got quite blasé about your new school now Mrs H.  It must be a great comfort to be into it.  I haven't much news from this end.  I was pleased to hear of Noreen's engagement to Paul.  You always liked him didn't you?  How do you think Mammy is keeping, or do you meet at all since the move to Dollymount Rd?!


The hospital is full here & the overflow are on the verandah this past week.  We had a lot of abnormal midwifery this week!  There was a hysterectomy, 3 forceps and another case.  We had 2 sets of twins born about 2 wks ago – they were lovely little things.

I was out 'fishing' near here the other evening (first & last time), Comdt. Hayes you'll be interested to know, but it wasn't the kind of fishing you'd approve of & I lodged my disapproval & took no hand, act or part in it when I knew what was happening!!  They set a piece of detonation or something like that on the bait (sausage) & put it in the river, then it went off with a bang & they swam out & picked up the dazed fish & we don't know the name of the fish.

I was out for a little walk round the compound with a sister the other evening just as it was dark.  We had a torch which we just flashed on occasionally as it wasn't much good.  Mine flashed on once just in time to stop dead as a big grey snake wriggled past up on the road right where our next steps would have been.

I give some lectures to the nurses in the evenings & it’s desperate trying to make them understand – last evening we were having a recap of the lecture before when I had mentioned & wrote on the board what 'medial to' and 'lateral to' meant – everybody understood, until I asked what bones we had in the arm “There's the medial (prounounced as in medical) bone & the bone called 'lateral bone'.

My favourite report in the night book is “All the others slept cosily with normal temperatures”  One of the house girls, who serves at table forgot a serving spoon & it suddenly dawned on her & she said - “Oh! the carry-put spoon” it's a pretty good name really.  We had a Christian marriage this morning – The bride wore white over a roaring pink slip which shone through and the groom wore pink socks, brown show, brown suit & whipped out an emerald green duster – or hankie embroidered in red wool, v. proudly to kneel on!

Love to all,
Emily

No comments: