Wednesday 13 November 2013

To Nancy Timoney - Obudu 20/05/54

Sacred Heart Hospital,
Obudu,
Ogoja Prov.


Sun 20th May, 1954


My dearest Mammy & all,

Your big long letter was terrific – it was great to get it.  I haven't got a chance to write letters or do anything much this past while.  We had Benediction & Rosary in the evening 6 pm for May & by the time I get up
from Siesta, have tea & did the round it was time for Benediction & then it was dark just after that.  Next month I might catch up again D.V.  You needn't worry any time you don't get a letter because the posts are terribly erratic anyhow, & will be worse for the wet season.  Our letters go out & come in 45 miles by bicycle to Ogoja so when it’s wet they're not too keen!  Now your questions – I wrote to Mrs ? but I must write again now – they must have been in a bad way about poor Johnny R.I.P.

There are 3 Sisters here with me, Sr. Patrick in charge, who used to be in Afikpo, she's a midwife.  Sr. Felicity who is Scottish, a convert & just professed before she came out in Feb.  She is a trained nurse & in charge of the hospital.  Sr. Philomena who is not a nurse but looks after the Leper Village & things in general, gardening etc.  There are 2 Fathers here – Father O'Reilly from Ferbane P.P. & Father Cafferty who is from Mayo, the principle in the P.T.C. (Prep. Training College for Teachers) here.  Sister Ruth is in Anua.  Sister Muiredach is in Ogoja & Sr. Ambrose is in Afikpo.

 There are 5 Sisters in Afikpo now, Sr. Gabriel, Sr. Ambrose, Sr Vincent (matron), Sr Brigid, Sr Jude (pharmacist) & Father Bradley & Fr. MacNamara.  So now you've got the set up of Obudo & Afikpo.  There was no hospital here before there was just the Leper Village which is about ¼ to ½ mile away & in the last few months a 6 bed maternity unit but anything abnormal could not be dealt with.  About April '53 the building of the hospital was started & they're not quite finished yet.  I will take snaps & send them when it is ready.
I am held up for instruments & drugs but I put the first few patients into the wards last week even though they're not painted yet.  I see 40 to 60 patients at the dispensary every morning, do the abnormal midwifery (we had 2 sets of twins last week by the way!) & any accident cases.

It’s very slow & uphill as we're just making do & fiddling along on what we've got but D.V. it will pick up gradually.  Denis Freeman comes out to the Leper Village once a month as he's in charge of all the leprosy ? in Ogoja.  I do a dispensary there in the village  once a week & see anything that crops up in the meantime.  Any problems in the village I keep for him monthly if possible! 

[photo: Sacred Heart Hospital, Obudu c. 1954]

Jerry Twomey is in Ogoja at present studying leprosy as he has to do some in Anua.  He came out to Obudu for a week & we did some interesting cases in the hospital.  Denis & Vera & Jerry came out last Sun and brought me out for a picnic with them.  We had a good time until one of the teachers at the place we stopped recognized us & went round about the 4 doctors being there so in a few minutes we were mobbed with sick people.  We took one bad pneumonia back with us but had to tell the others we were out without stethoscopes or drugs & couldn't treat them & they would have to come in to the dispensary.

[photo - Dr. Emily P. Timoney and Dr. Jerry Twomey with Fr. Eugene O'Reilly (Kiltegan Missionaries).]





The house sounds great.  I'm looking forward to seeing it D.V.  Which is John Dunne?  Is he married to a Catholic.  I'll certainly be home before or for Christmas '55 D.V.  I am keeping very well T.G.  Most of the others who have come out have had 'fever' (malaria) but T.G. I haven't been sick at all – I say the prayer to St. Roch every day.  Sr. Ruth was in bed 2 weeks with fever. 


Yes, I think you should get a head stone up for Daddy R.I.P. & a little fixing up to the grave.  Our official opening here is on 25th June D.V. so we'll have a crowd up for that day.  Monsignor will open it.  Monsignor O'Flaherty sent cheque for $25 for the Sisters & myself.  The Sisters & Fathers & I were at a candlelight dinner party at the D.O.s (District Officer's) sometime ago -  I wore the grey shimmery skirt & top – it’s very useful indeed.  I'm sending on some more snaps & stamps for Sean & ?  Did Seamus get my letter?  Be sure & keep the snaps for me please.

Love to all,

Emily



No comments: