Wednesday 13 November 2013

To Mrs Nancy Timoney - Obudu 14/02/55

Sacred Heart Hospital
Obudu
Ogoja Pr.


14th February, 1955

Mrs Nancy Timoney,
2 Dollymount Grove,
Clontarf,
Dublin,
Ireland.


Dear Mammy,

I hope you are well.  If Brian is leaving on the 17th he'll have his journey over by the time you get this D.V.  I hope you're not letting it upset you – after all it's what he wants to do & please God he'll make a good job of it.  It would be much more upsetting if he found he'd made a mistake – his vocation or something like that.  Please let me know where he is going & if its to teach or what.  I wrote to him over a week ago.  I had a letter from Áine last week – she seems to be quite happy.  Sister Cecilia Mary sent me a copy of the school magazine – I liked the school photos – it – they looked well.  They messed up the last sentence in my article a bit but it was all a bit (colony England ?)  - however Áine seemed pleased that I made the attempt!  How are all the wedding preparations going on?  Thank Noreen for her letter – it must be very hard to decide on the dresses etc.  I wish I could be of some use but 'chance no way'.  This will arrive a bit soon but many happy returns of the 28th Mammy.

Sister Jude should arrive sometime at the beginning of next month with your bag D.V.  They left at beginning of Feb. Sometime.  There was a big consignment of tinned milk sent out by the British Govt. here for school children & leprosy patients – but the reaction wasn't quite what was expected unfortunately.  It mentioned “sterilized” on the tins & the children were all warned not to take it & even ran out of the schools when it was produced.  The people thought it was one way of limiting the race & that it was to make them flow up “so they could not born pican”!  The African M.P.s had to go round the schools & drink the milk in front of them to try & knock this idea out of their heads.










I was in Freemans for a few days break & Denis put me on this milk disguised with Ovaltine whipped up & iced to try & put a bit of weight on me.  I'm to take a glass 2 or 3 times a day until I go home!  It's working too – I think I am putting on a bit.  We've a new Sister coming to Obudu to-morrow – Sister Canice, she's supposed to be a terrific worker so we're looking forward to having her.  She came out with Sr. Immaculata.  The Haughey’s paid a year's subscription to the Digest for me as a Christmas gift – very nice of them, wasn't it.  It's very hot here just now until the wet season in April or May.
Write soon please,

Love to all

Emily xx

no more room

ps. Happy Birthday!  Many Happy Returns to Noreen.  What are you thinking of wearing at the wedding yourself Mammy?

No comments: