Wednesday 13 November 2013

To Mrs Nancy Timoney - Obudu 15/05/55

Sacred Heart Hospital,
Obudu.



15th May, 1955



Mrs Nancy Timoney,
2 Dollymount Grove,
Clontarf,
Dublin,
Ireland.


My dearest Mammy,

Many thanks for the grand long letter.  I was delighted to get it.  The materials are beautiful – very unusual.  It's nice having the Shamrock on Clare's white too.  Who is making Noreen's dress?  The list is pretty formidable but you seem to have included everyone – it should be a terrific do D.V. & I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I'm sure it will go off wonderfully.  Send me a piece of Noreen's material when you get it please.  What about the cake – who is making it – icing it etc? - Gosh, there's certainly a lot of odds & ends to fix up.  I think I'll make a runaway job if I'm ever getting tied up?  Except I'd hate to miss all the presents – horrible creature!  I had a letter from Seán O'Connor yesterday – He's delighted at the prospect of going to the wedding & is not writing to Pearse – on the strength of seeing him there.  You said you were enclosing the note you got with the last money from here but you didn't – How much have you got altogether, is it £350 for last year & £175 for this year to March last?  I don't want to ask Sr. Patrick about it yet as she'd fuss & I'd rather leave it for a while so if you haven't got the March to Sept. that's ok I can get some of it this end but let me know exactly how much you got altogether please. 

It was great to win that in the Y.P. Pools, you might win the Sweep next!  I'm keeping well T.G. Sister Luke went back over a week ago & they're making me toe the line here.  Sr. Canice says “now just stay on in bed after Siesta there's nothing much on” if there's any slack evening in the hospital.  So I got 4.0 clock tea in bed & got up for night shift about 7.30 pm the other day.  I was late getting to Siesta as we had 83 at the dispensary.  Fr. O'Reilly, our P.P., is very good about things too – he says mass at 7.0 or 7.15am for me if I've no big case on & so I don't have to get up for the 6.15 mass.  He's going home, by the way, at the end of the month sometime, & will call.  He is flying home – has been out over 4 years.  He's very shy at first but would talk to beat the band when he gets going.  He has been very good to me all along here in Obudu & especially when I was sick.  He & Fr. Cafferty are in the Mission here & it's only about 50 yards from us & I could have a good argument over something or nothing with Fr. O'Reilly.  He's a great reader & keeps me supplied with books.  He's in a few book clubs.

When Godfrey was up here in September, he & Fr. O'Reilly used to sit up talking till all hours.  I've given Sr. Brigid the bag for Noreen. I don't know when she's going. She's supposed to be flying with Mother Joseph before the end of the month. The Griffins are going home in September & Jerry Twomey in Sept or October whichever suits. Sr. Doctor Luke is taking over from him in Urua? Akpan. I hear there's a doctor cousin (male) of Sister Ruth's thinking of coming out soon.  Godfrey seems to be definite about staying till January. Sr. Dr. Luke has advised me not to stay longer than Sept. but I'll see how I'm doing & if there's a relief.  I want to try & get this place recognized for midwifery training in the next few months. We're getting ready for inspection – building new houses & pulling down old ones, painting & getting Bahama grass planted instead of the wild Bush grass & getting our grounds in order.
[written on back of photo -  Sr. Loretto, Lawrence the driver, (& Emily), with the Niger River in the background - April, 1955.]

Sr. Immaculata was out here last week.  She said she'd had a letter from you.  The Afikpo car (new one in January) turned over last Monday when Sr. Luke was going back in it.  She & Miss Murphy & the driver & a boy in the back – the steering went as they went over a bridge – no one hurt T.G.  I hope Seamas is keeping well & liking his College job.  Who is to be best man at the wedding?

Love to all,

Emily
ps.  Greet the Hayes's & McPeakes for me.  How is the little baby who was sick & how are the living?












(written on back of photo: Sr. Patrick, Fr. Cafferty, Sr. Felicity, Sr. Felicitas and The Wedding Party - all four are lepers)










No comments: